My oldest son Finn is graduating from primary school next week. Yep, my little boy is not so little anymore... and he will be heading to Intermediate. Eekkk!!
With so much happening this year, the time has flown by. I actually hadn't really given it much thought until the last few weeks when the year 6 kids have been wrapping up their final year with assemblies, shared lunches, a disco and they are even having a special day at the end of the term just to celebrate the end of their primary school years!
When I was at primary school, we attended a little country school with about 60 kids and our intermediate was part of the primary too so we didn't move on until we went to high school. But when we got there the numbers jumped to about 1400, so it was a bit of a shock! I'm hoping the transition for Finn will be a bit easier.
Earlier in the year Finn and I went along with everyone else to the open days at a couple of different schools, and at the time it still felt like intermediate was a long way away. All of a sudden Finn seems really grown up. I know he's only 11 but I'm not sure how we got there so fast!!!
It's always exciting (and a little nerve-wracking) starting a new school, having new classes and meeting new friends, and Finn is ready for the challenge.
Finn has loved being at his primary school. Even though he started off quite shy and attended a small country school which he loved until he was 8, our lives were turned upside down and we all had so many changes at once. But then we moved to Auckland and the kids started a much larger school and Finn really opened up. He has been amazing and thrown himself into heaps of sports and activities and made awesome friends.
The little kids look up to the older ones which always makes you feel pretty cool and I know he's enjoyed the responsibilities. But especially this year I've noticed he has thrived being a "senior". So I think it will be a little sad to say goodbye.
When I started writing this, I wasn't sure how I would wrap up my blog, but now I've come to the end I realise how proud I am of my children and how far they really have come. That and I am definitely not ready for the year to end just yet!
- Essential Mums
No comments:
Post a Comment